Sunday, October 26, 2014

Zone One, Post Four

Even though I personally was not a fan of this novel, I did appreciate the overall writing style, as it was so different from anything else I have ever read before; this makes me think it was a difficult writing process that required effort on Whitehead's part, rather than a run-of-the-mill novel that he could have written. I also liked how we don't exactly know what happened to Mark Spitz, enabling us to sort of make our own ending of the book, filling in the blanks with what we imagine should happen to him. I can appreciate this writing style, as well as being entertained at certain parts, such as being engrossed in Gary's death and the happenings that took place leading up to and during it. I have always liked and appreciate irony, so the fact that a fortune teller ended up being the end of Gary's life struck me as being a great example of true irony. All this being said, I would definitely not recommend this book to a friend, because I found the process of reading this book to be tedious and required more effort to attempt to understand (and I never fully grasped the concept) than I thought was worth putting into a book written about zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment